Learn more about moving house.
House Moving Guide
Plan your house move effectively so you can save time, save money, and have a hassle free move.
Before Moving Day
- If you own things you no longer need, now is the perfect time to declutter your home. Organise items you can donate to charity, give away, sell, and throw away.
- If you live in an apartment, inform your building manager you are moving.
- If you live in an apartment building with lift access, the body corporate may have restricted moving times. Talk to your building manager to reserve a lift, so your load and unload can run as efficiently as possible.
- Many apartment buildings in Melbourne CBD or built up areas do not have sufficient parking facilities for the move to be convenient for you and us. For this reason loading and unloading can take much longer. Keep a spot free for us where possible. Have a chat to your neighbours to see if we can use one of their spots, or put some bins out overnight.
- Check that large appliances and furniture will fit into you new home.
- Be sure to inform us of any extra heavy items, such as solid Jarrah furniture, or fragile items that require extra care.
- Make us aware of any awkward paths to navigate, uneven terrain, or unfinished paths on building sites.
- Inform us of any extra items you may have forgotten in your initial quote.
- Don't save all of your packing for the day before you move!
- Never pack more than you can lift. Pack heavy items such as books, magazines, and CDs into small boxes.
- Pack fragile items such as crockery and glassware with plenty of wrapping such as newspaper, blankets and towles. Mark the boxes FRAGILE.
- Cover glass and mirrors in bubblewrap, cardboard and blankets.
- Cover TV screens in cardboard, bubblewrap, and blankets.
- Roll up carpets, and rugs and tape them up.
- Tape all boxes, top and bottom
- Wrap all pot plant bases in garbage or plastic bags.
- Tape cords of all electrical appliances, such as washing machines and fridges.
- Remove dust and loose items from the tops of your furniture as it can be a hazard to your movers!
- Label boxes, so we can unload them where they belong at your new home.
- Stack all like items you can lift — boxes, cartons, and smaller items in a single area.
- Clear a path to your front door.
- Washing machines and fridges generally have excess water in them. Make sure to unplug these early and remove the excess water.
- Although we will attempt to keep your fridge as upright as possible during the move, leave it off for an hour after it is in it's new location for the compressor oil to settle.
- Make sure that doors and drawers of your furniture are securely shut.